Thursday, February 17, 2005

More Thoughts on Kuyper.

During my readings of Kuyper's Principles of Sacred Theology yesterday, I was struck, again, by his use of the word 'organic'. As he defines it, I have no real problem with the word, since to him it is merely the fact that all of our knowledge runs together, there is no clear distinct boundary between the different disciplines, etc. But there are times when it could easily be interpreted as something much more, and something detrimental to his whole discussion of Revelation as the object of study for Theology.

In his discussion he uses terms like "the organic unity of humanity" which to him means the whole of humanity, in all its generations, and all its diversity. But I was struck that, especially now after the New Age movement (and back in Kuyper's day, since there had been philosophers who argued for a type of 'collective consciousness') this phrase 'organic unity of humanity' could be taken in a New Age sense. Because he is using this term, which he clearly defines, but still has many philosophical connotations, it seems that Kuyper is treading a very fine line. In reading Kuyper I find it necessary, whenever I run across the word 'organic', to remind myself what he means by it, so that I do not define too liberally.

I am, however, quite excited about his discussion of the antithesis here, about regeneration and the difference between those who live within regeneration and those who live without in terms of scholarship. Having this background now, I think my understanding of Wolterstorff is enriched as well.

But I will try to blog more on the antithesis later, if I find something coherent to say, once all these thoughts settle down in my head.

No comments: