Saturday, March 25, 2006

Theology superior to Philosophy?

According to Jean Grondin, who spoke at the "Irreconcilable Differences" conference, here are 7 reasons why Theology is superior to Philosophy:

  1. Theology is more accessible to people than philosophy.
  2. Theology is more relevant to current world events than philosophy.
  3. Theologians do not only write for other theologians, as philosophers seem to.
  4. There is a world outside of academics for theologians.
  5. Theologians are better trained than philosophers (they have more that they need to know to perform their task properly--although Philosophy technically does as well, it is easier to do without).
  6. Theologians have an impressive canon and a binding array of dogmas, of which philosophers have neither.
  7. Theology knows that it rests on faith, whereas philosophy does, but won't admit it.
  8. Theology is also a most exemplay discipline, in that it posits that there is a world beyond its feeble doctrines, which the doctrines only point toward. Philosophy often posits this, but then ignores it.
I know that there are 8 reasons here, but Grodin wanted 7, because it's a better number, so he called the 8th 'last,' instead of 8. It was humourous in a way that academics can be...

Of all the people that spoke, I think that Grondin came closest to answering the questions that I went to the conference with. Well, so did Dr. Jeff Mitscherling, but I disagreed with much of what he said. But I don't have time to blog that now. That will come later.

Addendum, March 29, 2006:
Thanks, Piet, for pointing out the spelling errors before Lisa found them!!

No comments: