With thanks to my brother-in-law and my sister-in-law, I have four new books on my shelf.
After Virtue by Alisdair MacIntyre.
Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood edited by John Piper and Wayne Grudem.
the JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh.
The Defense of the Faith by Cornelis Van Til.
I don't have much time right now to write about these books. Hopefully the links will tell you a little more about them. I have never read these (although I have two or three copies of the JPS translation of the Old Testament at home, this is the only one that I have that is parallel Hebrew and English). After Virtue is a book that I have heard a lot about, and that many people I have read have quoted from or mentioned, so I thought that I should get it and see what the fuss is all about. Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood was recommended by my New Testament professor, and I look forward to reading the essays that it contains, or at least most of them. Some of them are fairly scientific--I am looking more at the exegetical and theological essays. The Defense of the Faith looks to be a good book. Van Til does not only go into apologetics, but seems to lay a theological groundwork first, giving a broad outline of some important theological notions. The JPS Tanakh is a handy volume to bring along to church as it is about 1/4 the size of my Hebrew Old Testament, and both Sherri and I can read this one, since my other volume is only Hebrew.
And I also got, thanks to my sister-in-law, a belt-buckle that I can wear on the pulpit. I will take a picture of it some time, and see if I can remember how to post it.
That's all for now...I should get to translating some Greek and Hebrew.
No comments:
Post a Comment