Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Sight-seeing and Good Reading.

This past Saturday Sherri and I did some more sight-seeing. We were thinking of heading up to Whistler (we hear the drive is worth the trip), but decided to have a relaxed morning, and then do some sight-seeing that was closer by.

So we went to the Othello Quintette tunnels, on the advice of the people we are staying with. These are train tunnels that were cut into a gorge over a river (but I can't remember the name of the river). The gorge is quite deep and steep, so the engineer who decided to put a railway through it had to cut a series of 5 tunnels. The train no longer runs through it, and the tracks have been removed so that it is now a hiking trail. Sherri and I spent about 2 1/2 hours there, walking and taking pictures.

Afterward, we were going to go to the Bridal Veil Falls, but then decided, on the spur of the moment, to head to Hell's Gate. We're glad we did. We spent about an hour driving through the mountains along the Trans-Canada Highway. Just gorgeous. When we got to Hell's Gate, Sherri took the Air-Tram down across the Fraser River, and I hiked to the bottom and took the bridge. But I took the Air-Tram back up, since it was a fairly long hike down, and steep in spots, even though I was walking on a road that the fishery department uses.

Sherri will post pictures eventually. We took lots.

On another note, on Sunday evening I read The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin Jr. which we are borrowing from Uncle Piet and Aunt Fran. This is a book that I would highly recommend. I just read it, so I can't say much about it yet (I'm still digesting it, which shows how good of a book it really is). Last night I started the sequel to it, The Book of Sorrows, also borrowed from Uncle Piet and Aunt Fran, who let us ransack their bookshelves for good reading while we are out West.

No comments: