I have just completed the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. I plan on posting on these books, but I need to decide how to go about doing it. I need to have a framework within which to work, or else my posts will end up rambling and with very little point.
I have been thinking of doing it in terms of themes that I found in these books. I can't comment on every detail, nor should I--the trick is to figure out what Pullman's point is, what he thinks, and to leave what are more 'literary' flourishes (like the details about characters, races, worlds etc.) as fleshing out these themes, and as plot elements. I am not going to be discussing plot unless it pertains to some of the themes I will touch on, for my interests are more theological than literary critical. I found, though, in doing this exercise, that I miss studying literature. Perhaps I will have a hobby for when I am a pastor.
Here are some of the themes I am planning to post about (or, depending on time and desire, the themes I plan to post about):
What Pullman seems to suggest "original sin" is.
Pullman's caricature of the church, and what it means for us.
Biblical imagery used in Pullman's trilogy, and perhaps
some parallels between Pullman and Lewis.
For now, I am just going to say that I enjoyed reading these books. They are well written, easy to get into, and easy to get caught up in--which is, perhaps, the biggest danger for Christians reading these novels unaware of Pullman's background or presuppositions.
So, when I have some thoughts composed and arranged, I will post them here. Also, if anyone has anything they want to ask about the books, let me know and I'll see if I can answer it. Now that I am done, I can also listen to the interview with Alan Jacobs (see previous post) and listen to what he has to say, and perhaps add it to my thoughts.
For now I'll just say this: Don't worry, Lisa, there were no major sex scenes--just some suggestive imagery and language, nothing a kid would pick up on, I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment