Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Finally, an end to the silence.

Hi all,

I finished on the farm last Friday, and since then I have been working on a sermon for the big family reunion this weekend. A thanksgiving sermon. It is going well, except that all of a sudden last night I ended up with a bad cold...sore throat, stuffy head, at least my nose isn't running. However, I will still get my sermon finished.

As I was working on the farm, and as it is election season in Canada, I had plenty of opportunity to see some of those fabulous yard-signs that the political-hopefuls put up all over the place. And I found what is, for now, the worst political slogan I have ever heard.

But before I tell you what it is, I want to say a few things about the party. I have always been of two minds about the Christian Heritage Party. We have a delegate in our area, so we actually do have a chance to vote for them. However much I agree with their issues (as stated on their website), and desire to see a political party sitting in the seat of responsibility that I actually like, I have difficulty in deciding to vote for them at all. Because they are such a small party, and because they are pretty much off the radar for most people, a vote for them means one less vote for the party that I would like to see at the helm, and actually has a chance of making it. Voting for the CHP seems, in one way, like throwing my vote away.

Having said that, I also think that if we do actually vote for them, they would have that much more support, and perhaps could at least get something going on politically.

Do I vote for the party I agree with most, or do I vote strategically, so the party I don't want to see with the responsibility of leading the country does not get in?

So, in saying that the slogan is terrible in no way constitutes me making light of the Christian Heritage Party.

But their slogan is terrible.

I don't know if the slogan is on their website, but it's on the signs for the guy in our area, and here it is:

"You know what's right..."

While theologically and philosophically I can agree with the sentiment (to some degree), but seeing it on a political sign as a slogan just reeks of arrogance. It is as if they are saying "It's the right thing to do, voting for us, and if you don't do it, you're being bad."

I wonder who thought up that slogan, and why they thought it would be good to use publicly.

But since I do have a sermon to write, that is all for now.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

We are having the same discussion on the Boersema email list. The consensus there is to vote strategically rather than with your conscience.
I think that voting with your conscience only works if EVERYONE does it, and you know that's not going to happen. So while we do have a CHP candidate in our riding (who lives in Woodstock?!-and has no signs up???) he will not be getting our vote.

Mrs. Bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Bob said...

without directly admitting my allegiances....

my take on it is that to vote "strategically" is to deny the power of God. The party He desires to get in will get in, regardless of our vote. we need to vote for whatever party has the platform we think is the best. before denying your conscience, realize it often times is the voice of the Holy Spirit.

Oh, and let me say that my take on the issue is just because a party has the name "christian" does not make it christian... anymore then the name "conservative" denotes a conservative party. examine the platforms and policies to find out what they're truly made of. and to see if it makes sense in terms of ruling a country.

that being said, that slogan is absolutely pathetic... we saw it on the way to church last sunday and sniffed contemptuously at it too... :)

willowsprite said...

I like their slogan on the pamphlets - "The RIGHT Conservatives."