Monday, October 27, 2008

Novels I am Reading.

I have recently discovered (or rediscovered as I may have read some of his work before) a new author I thoroughly enjoy. The author is Stephen R. Lawhead. He writes novels that have a Celtic background to them. I was shopping the closing-down sale at Mitchell's Bookstore here in Hamilton and ran across a couple of novels that looked interesting. I bought them, and really enjoyed reading them.

Lawhead is a Christian, and you can tell by reading his books. Not that he writes the standard 'Christian-fiction' which is generally poorly written or border-line romance, or just books with a thin veneer of Christianity (the obligatory 'each character must pray at least once' kind of books).

What Lawhead does is different, since his faith is not explicitly expressed in the books, but lies behind them as a framework or background. He's a Christian, and he just happens to write fiction novels. But you can tell that he is indeed a Christian when he does have a character pray or speak about theological matters, for you can tell that the person writing the prayers knows how to pray, and to whom he is praying.

I have read Hood, Scarlet, and the Song of Albion trilogy so far. I hope to read more.

You can check out Stephen Lawhead at his website: http://www.stephenlawhead.com/

3 comments:

Mrs. Bob said...

a-ha-ha, love your description of typical christian fiction... it is, i agree, a very acurate one! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Stu! I picked up the first volume of the Song of Albion from the library yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

No problem, Jim. I'd be interested to see what you think of the ending of the trilogy. But I won't say anything more because I don't want to give it away.

My caricature of Christian Fiction is probably unfair, Mrs. Bob, but that is the impression I have received by looking over most of the books in some of our churches' libraries. Ick.