I don't know much about politics, but I do know about reading and about presuppositions.
Has it struck anyone else that all the major news outlets seem to be trying to outdo each other to show that they aren't racist by saying how great it is that there is an African-American president-elect?
I think that this is a great thing, and has potential to do a lot for race relations, but this is all that I'm reading these days--nothing about his policy, nothing about his plans, just how great it is that he is now president-elect. Oh, except today in the Hamilton Spectator, where they had a huge article on the fashion-sense of the Obama family.
Did anyone pay attention to any issues during the campaign, or did they just vote emotionally?
And that's all I will say about the U.S. political scene.
7 comments:
yeah, i feel that too.
well-put.
Well, I'm glad it's not only me. I thought perhaps I was getting cynical!
I'd have to say that the new president of the USA being an African American is far beyond an emotional issue. Some of these are hard to understand being a Canadian, and some of them are hard to understand being white. But there are real tangible reasons to be very excited about it. For just one of many examples check out this Christian blog posting: http://epointchurch.org/2008/11/05/poetic-providence/
Thanks for the link, Winston. It certainly is hard to understand the issue of racism as a Canadian. In that sense I stand corrected, and thankfully.
But at the same time, I think that many of the news agencies (especially Canadian) are making it known how they feel about an african-american president, not what it means for Americans.
I especially liked the article you linked to since it does touch upon the issue of abortion. There are many things that Christians need to think about as they vote--but some seem to think that abortion trumps them all. It is a horrible situation, and has great importance, but to vote only on that issue is clouding other issues as well. I am still thinking this through, however.
well-put again, stu. abortion is a terrible thing, for sure... but so are so many other things going on today.
Here is another link I found very interesting, this one by John Piper. I am a little confused on how to hold the abortion tragedy in tension with other things. Some argue it overrides everything else, others say it is a factor. Difficult stuff. hat I once met a missionary that said he votes for the republicans but prays the democrats will win! Ha ha! Here is Piper's video on Between two Worlds blog:
http://theologica.blogspot.com/2008/10/john-pipers-heart-in-this-election.html
These are all difficult issues. Politics is never easy if you do it properly.
I have always felt that pastors should stay out of politics, but only equip their congregation with the gospel so that they may make the right decisions based on God's revealed will.
Post a Comment