Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Quiz:

Do you know the difference between Shakespeare and the KJV? Apparently I got 3 wrong. Oh well--means I'm not perfect yet!

The Bible or The Bard?

Score: 70% (7 out of 10)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got 100%. It probably helps that I use the NKJV most of the time in my study and during family worship.

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I ask why you use the NKJV for study and family worship but the NIV in corporate worship? You can e-mail me the answer if you want.

Lisa said...

Not perfect YET? Do you expect to be one day?

Lisa said...

I got 70% also, but I mistakenly chose the Bard one time when I meant to click on the Bible. so I should have gotten 80%. Ha!

Lisa said...

OK, one more comment....
do you think those Stephen Lawhead books would be above Tim's head yet, or can he handle them? I am always looking for decent lit for him, that he will enjoy. He's read Redwall 150 times, and is getting into some stuff I'm not sure I like. Fantasy, sci-fi kind of nonsense.

Anonymous said...

Of course I do. Just not in this life. And since this life precedes the next life, I think it is safe to use 'yet' in this situation.

Perhaps I should get you a good theology book for Christmas, eh?

Maybe Natalie should give you some computer lessons, too. Good thing you guys use the NKJV as well, I suppose. Perhaps I should start reading it more regularly...

Anonymous said...

About Stephen Lawhead....they might be above Timothy's head, but he's older than I think he is, so perhaps not. And it's good to read a little over your head anyways--it forces you to think more.

I have only read 5 of them, but if you want to get one for him, I would probably suggest Hood, which is more realistic than the Song of Albion trilogy. The Robin Hood trilogy is not yet complete (Tuck, the last book, comes out early next year), but good reading. I'd lend them to you, but Sherri's still reading them.

If you want, I can probably lend you the Albion trilogy, but Sherri will want to read them too, once she's done Hood and Scarlet.

Anonymous said...

If you want, Lisa, you can let me know what books he's reading, and if I know of them I can tell you what I think of them. Sherri would probably be good for this too, as we both read in those kind of genres as well.

Anonymous said...

Actualy, on second thought, I think those books are a little too advanced for Tim. Sherri reminded me of the ahem suggestive themes ahem in some of them.

Better wait until he's older for those.

I'll try to think of some other books...

Anonymous said...

Stu, you asked about why I use the NKJV when I can.

Answer: I prefer the more literal translation philosophy as well as its approach to the text of the New Testament. I'm not a TR-only guy, but the NKJV/KJV is the closest you can get if you prefer the MT. I've never liked the NIV. That dislike goes back a long way, as you can see from the Acts of Synod Abbotsford 1995 -- even though the Acts do not fairly represent the content of the letter that I co-wrote.

Mrs. Bob said...

ha! 10 out of 10. pthbpthbpthbp
(we grew up using the rsv and most of the texts i have memorized in those days still ring in my head from that translation. :)

Lisa said...

Thanks Stu - I'll leave Lawhead for a while then.
Have you read Cornelia Funke? He likes her books..
He is now at the point of rereading books he has read before, for lack of new material. He's outgrown most of the juvenile section of the library,
what about Terry Stevens? (I think that's the author - Shannarra series)

Lisa said...

Terry Brooks, that's the one.

Anonymous said...

I,m not up to the level of Mrs. Bob, but I did get 9 out of 10. And i do not read the NKJV. (Just a bit of gloating!) Herman

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Wes, I will look up that Synod and related material.

Lisa, Sherri likes the Terry Brooks books. I will ask her. I've read some of them, and they seemed alright, but I can't remember for sure right now. I have never read Cornelia Funke, neither has Sherri I think.

And Dad and Mrs. Bob--no gloating anymore. Perhaps I'll take the test again and get perfect, and then delete this whole post as if it never happened!