Monday, February 15, 2010

Self-Determination Theory.

I am working on a paper and presentation for my Educational Psychology class on the larger topic of motivation. How can/does a teacher motivate his or her students to learn? During my preliminary research, I came across a reference to Self-determination theory, which focuses on motivation. It seems to be an interesting theory, based on the research I have done so far.

The basic premise is that there are three basic psychological needs that must be fulfilled for a person to be deeply intrinsically motivated to do something: the need for autonomy, the need for competence, and the need for relatedness. I have not done enough research yet to explain how this all works together, but I am very interested in seeing how it has been applied or can be applied at a teacher-student level.

For more information, you can go to the Self-determination theory website: Self-Determination Theory. There you can find articles about it, and even the questionnaires they use in their field studies.

When I know more about this theory, I hope to do some thinking of whether or how it could fit in with a Christian worldview, but this is not part of my assignment for school--just for my own interest!

No comments: