Thanks to the Redeemer Bookstore sale, I came home earlier this week with a few new books. Two of which are the first and second volumes of a series of short stories based on issues of life and faith. I am reading the first volume now. The series is called Not Safe, But Good: Short Stories Where Faith And Life Collide and is edited by Bret Lott.
I have read the first two stories, and I am very impressed. They are indeed stories of faith, but not the inspirational, shmarmy kind. In these two stories I have read of a 12 year old boy struggling to find his identity while living in the shadow of a very popular and gregarious father who runs a Christian summer camp, and of a semi-retired father who was not the greatest husband and father, but who seeks to become better. We are shown his thoughts as he drives to take his daughter and her children back home as her marriage is dissolving (but there are many complications). So far this latter has been my favourite.
The people in these stories are definitely not heroes of faith, nor do they experience dramatic conversions. They are quite simply real people attempting to live out their faith in whatever situations they find themselves in.
So far, I highly recommend this volume. I will post more as I continue reading...
I also got, for the sake of completeness, Dorothy Sayers' The Mind of the Maker, and a book about the Christian vision in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and a book of English usage of words and phrases. All-in-all a good day.
EDIT: Sherri told me I should tell from where the title of these books comes. It is a quote from the Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe specifically. Lucy is talking to Mr. Tumnus (I think) about Aslan, and he says, "He is not safe, but he is good." (or something like that.) I find it to be a good view of God and our relationship with him: not safe, but good.
I have read the first two stories, and I am very impressed. They are indeed stories of faith, but not the inspirational, shmarmy kind. In these two stories I have read of a 12 year old boy struggling to find his identity while living in the shadow of a very popular and gregarious father who runs a Christian summer camp, and of a semi-retired father who was not the greatest husband and father, but who seeks to become better. We are shown his thoughts as he drives to take his daughter and her children back home as her marriage is dissolving (but there are many complications). So far this latter has been my favourite.
The people in these stories are definitely not heroes of faith, nor do they experience dramatic conversions. They are quite simply real people attempting to live out their faith in whatever situations they find themselves in.
So far, I highly recommend this volume. I will post more as I continue reading...
I also got, for the sake of completeness, Dorothy Sayers' The Mind of the Maker, and a book about the Christian vision in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and a book of English usage of words and phrases. All-in-all a good day.
EDIT: Sherri told me I should tell from where the title of these books comes. It is a quote from the Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe specifically. Lucy is talking to Mr. Tumnus (I think) about Aslan, and he says, "He is not safe, but he is good." (or something like that.) I find it to be a good view of God and our relationship with him: not safe, but good.
11 comments:
That book sounds really interesting!
It is very interesting. I've read the first three stories so far, and enjoyed them all. They're not always 'nice' stories, but they are good stories. I'm looking forward to reading more.
I'd love to read that book... would I be able to borrow it from you for a bit when you're done?
You'll have to get in line behind Sherri though. And it might be a while before I finish too, I like to read a story at a time to let them sink in.
If you can wait, we'll figure something out!
I'm waiting.... :) I think this one is worth the wait!
It will be worth the wait. I am almost done it, and every story I read is consistently good. I've been reading it at the hospital and wishing I had a hand free to write a response after I read each story, that's how good it is.
Hopefully the second volume lives up to the reputation of the first.
"Not Safe, But Good: Short Stories Where Faith And Life Collide" was formerly published as "The Best Christian Short Stories." Both editions can also be ordered from amazon.com.
Thanks, Wormwood. I'll keep my eyes open for other similar collections--I was really impressed by these two!
I just got done looking through "The Best Christian Short Stories" and I think this book is about Christians who aren't that different from non-Christians. From the Christian woman who uses profanity (Exodus, page 23) to the Christian man who thinks it's OK to tell lies to young children as long as it's for the greater good (page 92). The only thing that separates these Christians is their belief and faith in Jesus, not necessarily their actions. I found this book problematic and would only give it three out of five stars. I don't think this represents great Christian writing, and I am not a fan of the smarmy feel good kind of stories either.
"Safe? Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you." — Mr. Beaver to Lucy(LWW, Ch. 8)
Thanks for the correction, Marci's World. I did my blog post from memory, not thinking to check it up (silly me)
Wormwood, I don't think I can help you find those blogs, as I don't know them. And you raise some good points about stories that are supposed to be Christian...they need to hold themselves (the authors, I mean) to a high standard, since they are using the name of Christ.
I should look into that as I reread these stories.
Post a Comment