Studying education at Redeemer didn't warn me about this. Prepared me, yes. Warned me? No. (Okay, they most likely did, but I probably forgot).
The first two days of school, even the first three, were not terribly fun days. Perhaps for the students, not for me. I was struggling to figure out how I should be teaching my students, and what would work best. I was struggling to plan, to prepare, and even to organize my day!
Now that I have had a few days to sit back, review, and organize, I think that I have learned my lesson: don't teach the students, just let them learn. Rather than trying to cram information into their heads, I should let them figure things out, giving them every opportunity and all the necessary information and skills to do the work themselves. So now, I have lesson planned with lots of hands-on work, and much less of me talking. I think everyone will be happier.
So, in sum: days 1-3, ignored. Forgotten. Day 4: starting fresh. Hopefully my students won't mind!
3 comments:
Best wishes, Stuart. I'm sure you will do well.
Thanks, Rev. van Popta. Today went much better, except for one class where I talked way too much again. Slowly, I am learning ways of going about things without lecturing.
If I keep up at this rate, I'll be a pro in no time! ;)
Great ideas, Stuart. Carl Orff said: "Tell me, and I forget. Show me, and I remember. Involve me, and I understand." And the Chinese proverb said, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears."
Post a Comment