I think I should start bringing a piece of paper and a pen on the tractor with me. When all you do all day for work is sit on a tractor and mow 100+ acres of grass you have a lot of thinking time. Today I had some brilliant (I think) thoughts. I quite liked them, and had hoped to write about some of them. However, due to the vast amount of time in between then and now, they are lost to me. Many many thoughts have done that to me, or me to them... I don't know which way it works...
Today, all I can recall is thinking about creation, creationism and scientism/evolutionism, and some other random thoughts on responsibility, morality and the like.
Oh.... I just remembered one of my thoughts....
Would Adam and Eve, on the creationist scale of things, had any notion of pain and suffering? When God told them that they would die if they ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, would Adam and Eve had the necessary referent to go along with the term 'die', or would it have been an empty, hollow word to them, since they had no experience of death?
I am not saying that when God speaks his words depend on our understanding to have any meaning, but how much knowledge of these things (death, pain, suffering) would Adam and Eve have had? Would they have been created with the necessary idea-structure in place so that they would know what these are without ever experiencing them, or could they have experienced some of these things before the fall in to sin, some kind of paradisical pain?
I'll have to give it some more thought, I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment