Wednesday, December 15, 2004

New Developments from Anthony Flew

My second post in one day, boy am I impressed.

My cousin Jamie called my attention to an article he had read concerning that atheist of atheists, Anthony Flew. Apparently, after years of citing not enough evidence to sustain a belief in God, Mr. Flew has now discovered enough evidence to believe in a Deist God, Aristotle's Unmoved Mover, so to speak.

This is no real cause for theistic celebration, I think, since he says in this article that he does not believe in the God of Christianity or Islam, since they are "depicted as omnipresent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins." The only concession he makes, in this article at least, is the fact that he supposes that it is possible that the God he now believes in "could be a person in the sense of a being that has intelligence and a purpose".

Another reason this is not the theistic 'breakthrough' that it might be made out to be is that he still cites the evidence for his belief in God, as he had cited it for his unbelief. If we go by the evidence, we could never come to an idea of the Judeo-Christian concept of God. This requires revelation, which requires faith in order to be heard, or at least faith after the fact, since I will not be one to limit the effectiveness and power of God.

He is believing in this Unmoved Mover on the wrong grounds. He is believing on his own terms, and in his own way, which, according to the Bible, is not the way that God wants to be worshipped.

Anyways, I still need to study, and I don't have the time to get into the necessity of worship and other things, so here's the link to Anthony Flew.

No comments: