I have recently finished listening to the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre presentation of The Magician's Nephew, the beginnings (although written and published 5th or 6th) of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. My sister-in-law bought them at a Christian bookstore, so Sherri and I borrowed them, and then bought our own copy. I don't generally like listening to the radio, preferring talk radio (CBC Radio 1), and so I got these for long car trips too (I lament the death of radio dramas... I really like that idea). Anyways, here's what I think:
First of all, these are at the very least among my favourite books. I have read them every year (for the last 7 or 8 years) and will hopefully continue to do so. I have my ideas about these books, and have 'created' the characters, places and events within my own imagination while reading them. Thus there is always a bit of disappointment when I hear a version of these books, since the voices (in this case) differ from what I had read them as. However, these (or at least the first one, since that is all I have listened to so far) are excellent. I am glad that some company/organization like Focus on the Family did them, since there is an obvious connection between the Chronicles and the Christian faith.
My one disappointment is the voice of Aslan. But this is not a great disappointment, for the following reasons. Aslan, as an allegory of Christ, must have all the requisite majesty, power, honour, glory that Christ has. Since, though, these are radio plays, it all has to be in the voice. I would think that it is very hard to make one's voice convey all of these things. At best it might sound overly solemn, at worst disastrously melodramatic. The actor that plays Aslan('s voice) is not disastrously melodramatic, nor overly solemn, but neither does he (to my liking, at any rate) sound as Aslan would sound. Inner imagination is much more versatile and useful for this type of thing.
But, I can get over Aslan being less than he ought to be, since no mere human being can convey what is necessary to convey to portray the presence of the divine. (Bringing to mind all of those actors who have played Jesus in the movies about him... it just fails at some fundamental level). Portraying Aslan is different then portraying Jesus, since Aslan is a created allegory, not the real thing. But that is a whole other discussion.
I am quite looking forward to listening to the rest of these radio plays, partly because I want to hear how they did some of the other characters (Puddleglum, for instance, I wonder how they interpreted his voice). I'll openly admit that when I hear some of the events and dialogue, having read the books numerous times and grasped the inherent importance and fullness which they possess, I get goosebumps. (I guess I'm a hopeless romantic... just don't ask Sherri, she'll disagree).
I'd be interested to hear other reactions to these plays, see what other people have thought. So, if you've listened to them, or some of them, please let me know. Thanks.
5 comments:
It's the same thing if you see a movie based on the book. Somehow it's never quite as good; the casting director never casts who you think should play the parts!
Hi Stu! I read the Narnia Chronicles for the first time several years ago, and much enjoyed them. Are you at all familiar with the audio dramatization produced by the BBC? I borrowed it from the public library, and thought that it was very well done and helped enrich my enjoyment of the books. I imagine that the Hamilton library system would have the BBC version for you to check out if you're interested - I have no idea how it compares with the FOTF version. Any reason why you began with the Magician's Nephew, rather than following the originally published order? (which, admittedly, is not chronlogical)
I followed this order since it is the one that I was originally introduced to by my grade 4 teacher. Also, it makes more sense to me to start with the creation of Narnia, before getting into all of the stories about it. Chronological order makes more sense to me. Otherwise I would get confused...
And I did not know that the BBC had done audio dramas. I will look into that. Which would give me an excuse to get a library card (which I have done without for many a year...) Thanks for the tip.
Well, ok then! Based on this wonderful tip, we will invest all our life savings. Then when we go bankrupt we can blame it all on Stu, since the advice came from his blog! :-)
yeah, well, with 5 kids, how big can your life savings be anyways? So I'm not too worried...
Post a Comment