I am now in the middle of writing my chapel on Kierkegaard's use of the Bible. Not in general, but looking at one specific verse that Kierkegaard uses in "Works of Love". In his first discourse, he uses Luke 6:44, which is "Each tree is recognized by its own fruit." Kierkegaard takes this verse and applies it to Love, and the life of Love which we live. It is an excellent discourse. Kierkegaard is quite literary, using excellent examples and illustrations. Beautiful writing, just beautiful. I would recommend this to everyone. I had to read it three times to get quite familiar with it, and loved it all three times.
I have summarized Kierkegaard's use, and now I am looking into the context and exegesis of the passage itself. Then I will see whether I would agree with Kierkegaard's use of this passage. I would hesitate to call it an 'explanation' of the passage, for he does not formally explain it. But he does use the passage very well, I think. I would never preach like that, but I would sure love to...
At least I can learn from him, and use beautiful and poetic illustrations.
I will post this chapel some time later. Whether before or after I deliver it, I don't know. I have to decide if I want to give my classmates a preview or not (although only Jim reads this, I think). But I have already decided that I am going to be doing a Kierkegaard and the Bible theme for my chapels this year. I loved writing this one so far, and found it very interesting. Thanks. Dr. Bartholomew for the idea (and Piet for bringing it to my attention)!!
Addition: while I am writing this, I am listening to a CD borrowed from my younger brother, called "Dimanche a Bamako" by Amadou and Mariam. It is an excellent CD. I can't tell you much about it, but if you know Piet, ask him. (In fact, this is the CD I've listened to almost all week, it's just that good!!)
11 comments:
Amadou and Mariam, in case you're curious, are a married couple of musicians from Mali, in West Africa. Interestingly, they are both blind. "Dimanche a Bamako" may very well be, according to KEXP, the next Buena Vista Social Club (for whatever that's worth).
Switching topics, I'm glad you're back into the Kierkegaard. It might be that our Canadian Reformed Christendom could learn a lot from him.
I am looking forward to that movie with eager anticipation, especially since those are some of my favourite books. Probably somewhere near the tippidy-top of my list...
Tim's class is going to see a play of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe put on at the London Public Library in November. I am hoping they will need chaperones! Maybe they need LOTS of chaperones!
yeah... and maybe theological college chaperones? Just to make sure that there is no sneaky heresy sneaked in?
Good idea..I'll run it by his teacher. Maybe it could be a combined field trip; you guys do field trips, don't you?
Sometimes. The upper classes went to a Sikh Temple last year, and we all had to go toa Catholic Mass this year for Liturgics (all being upper classes). But other than that, not that I can think of. May be we can do this for Apologetics... But that is not for another couple of years...
Too bad. I'm sure Tim will tell you all about it. Probably line by line, if you give him the chance, along with graphic descriptions of the scenery.
Sounds good. And if his memory is that good, can he write my proof-text exams for me? Please?
Think they might notice at the college that he is a little young to be writing those exams? He's a little shorter than you are, although not for long at the rate he is growing!
We can think of something. I'll give him some of my clothes, get him to grow a beart, he'll fit right in...
Yeah, right! Then of course you would come and write his Grade 4 tests? The new Math is pretty difficult!
Post a Comment