Last year (which wasn't that long ago) I had an idea to start a reading group. I think the motivation was all selfish: I wanted an excuse to read some books that I have, but have not gotten around to reading yet. But whatever the motivation, the end result is that now (probably about 4 months after I had the idea) there is a group in existence, and we hope to meet in a couple weeks' time.
We have decided (that is, Piet and I have decided, and everyone else is simply going along with it) to read Dr. Wolters' Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview. Worldview questions are important, especially, I think, in our post-modern age, where it seems that everything goes.
For our first meeting together, I have set the reading at the first section of the book, a chapter entitled "What is a Worldview?" I think that may be enough for a good night's discussion, since worldview questions, while important, are also large and complex.
Since I haven't read it yet (or at least, lately), I can't comment on it right now, so I will hold off until after the discussion. Then I'll probably have some blogging ideas.
And hopefully this will inform my theological and pastoral studies at the Theological College as well. I have been lamenting my lack of philosophical readings at the College, and this is a good way of getting back into it.
Anyways, this is just a quick update. I have too much else to do to make a long post about this. Until then, I have to write a sermon proposal on 1 Samuel 18:1,3-4, the passage which describes the relationship between Jonathan and David. It is a fun exercise, and an informative one, both in terms of the material studied, and the methodology of preaching on an Old Testament historical passage.
No comments:
Post a Comment