Monday, September 18, 2006

Oops...

Here I thought that I would have more time for blogging once school started. Really, I don't know what I was thinking. I don't even have time to do the readings that I want to blog about.

I recently received a copy of Bishop Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Way, and was reading that this summer, along with his The Orthodox Church. There are some interesting differences between the Western and Eastern Churches, and some interesting differences between Reformed and Eastern Orthodox Churches.

Along the same lines, I also purchased (which I had been planning on doing for some time now) The Philokalia, what is sometimes called the 'bible of Orthodox spirituality.' It is a four volume (although I think it is supposed to be five, but the fifth hasn't come out in English yet, and seems like it won't) collection of the writings of Eastern Orthodox monks and mystics from the 4th to the 14th centuries. I have finished the first short work, by St. Isaiah the Solitary, of which I forget the title, but in which he discusses how a person is to defend their connection with God. I will try to remember to bring it along to school someday, and then write about it on this blog.

This school year looks to be busy (like normal) with some interesting classes. Old and New Testament Theology (which reminds me, I should post about the new books that I bought but have not received yet...), and Missiology, which looks to be interesting. And then the usual stand-bys: Dogmatics, Homiletics, Hebrew, Greek, Church Polity (which may not seem like it, but is a great class--Rev. DeGelder is an excellent teacher).

That is what is going on, academically and intellectually, with my life. Well, hopefully I can post on some of these things as the year progresses. Maybe even on my readings in Orthodox theology, even though the College does not leave much time for us students to do our own readings...

No comments: