Tuesday, October 03, 2006

No Escape from Evil...

I heard this on the news yesterday as I was driving to pick Sherri up from work, and thought to myself: "What kind of a person would kill Amish schoolgirls?" And then I thought, "Well, but for the grace of God, all of us."

However, what kind of a world do we live in where those who are weaker, those who cannot defend themselves, become the targets of violence? I know the answer to this question, for as a Christian, I cannot ignore or deny the reality and wickedly-pervasive nature of sin. But it still brings reason to pause and consider when something like this happens. What ever happened to defending the weak and defenceless? What makes this attack even worse, in my estimation, is that these students did not live, so to speak, in the same world as the shooter, or even us. The Amish, descended from the Anabaptists of the 16th century, had renounced violence (after perpetrating the Munster Rebellion), when Menno Simons had taken leadership. Which goes to show, I guess, that you can renounce violence all you want, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I only hope that their faith is strong enough to handle something like this. It is a sad, sad world we live in, and only when you know the truth does it present any hope at all.

October 4, 2006: I corrected the 'Munster Rebellion' link.

No comments: