I have been doing some reading in John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion in preparation for my upcoming classis examination which will determine whether or not I am going to go to BC for my internship. If I pass, I can preach (speak an edifying word) in the churches, and so will go to BC. If I do not pass, I cannot preach, and therefore will not be going to BC, since I would then not get a large part of the experience that the Pastoral Training Program is designed for.
Anyways, one of the topics that I am preparing is the doctrine of prayer. I am surprised that in the Reformed tradition (especially from Holland, I can't say anything about other traditions) there is very little by way of a systematic doctrine of prayer. We have 7 or 8 Lord's Days in the Heidelberg Catechism, and Calvin has a part of his Institutes devoted to prayer (although not a large percentage), but I have not really been able to find that much by way of a doctrine of prayer. Anyways, once all this classis hoopla is over, and my OT exegesis paper is done, I will try to remember to post my findings on Calvin's view of prayer. It is interesting reading, since Calvin, who was a good theologian, is also very pastoral, and there is a good mix of the two in his discussion on prayer.
Till then, I have plenty of other work to do, especially tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment