Here I thought that I would have time to do some side-reading as I was working with Rev. Van Vliet, so I brought an ethics book along to read. I think that I have read a grand total of 25 pages or so since we've been here, and most of that was during our first week when I wasn't working for my internship.
Oh well...perhaps I can do some more reading in August, unless I decide to work on the farm for a few weeks before the baby arrives.
It is also amazing how fast this week has gone by. It is already Thursday, the day in which I spend all my time writing my sermon. Which means that all my exegetical, canonical, and organizational work is done for the text (being done on Monday and also on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings). What I am trying to work on in this sermon is to use less academic, school-like language, and write in a way that I speak, a more natural way. So whenever I write something, I look it over and see if I could phrase is in a simpler way. This means that I am using the Office Thesaurus more often than usual, to find simpler words for some of those that I use.
We'll have to see how successful I am when I am finished. Perhaps I will get Sherri to read it over again, just to see if there is anything I can improve. That worked well for my last sermon.
Well, I guess I should get back to it.
Oh yeah, the text for this sermon is 1 John 4:1-3. 1 John 4:1 was the text chosen for me when I did profession of faith in Burlington Ebenezer, and I decided that I wanted to look into it. It's turning out to be an interesting study. And, as per Rev. Van Vliet's suggestions, I am making it less general and abstract, and more practical... I hope it works.
No comments:
Post a Comment