Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sermon Preparation and Things:

It's amazing what a fresh perspective will do for a person. After spending most of the day on Monday researching for a sermon on Lord's Day 34, and spending Tuesday morning agonizing over an outline (and not being happy with the one that I sent to Rev. Van Vliet), it went much smoother and easier today. Rev. Van Vliet and I spent about an hour or so going through the Lord's Day for my next sermon, and he gave me invaluable hints and suggestions and advice. So now I have a good outline that I can work with and that I am happy with, and so tomorrow, when I spend all day writing my sermon, it will be a much more pleasant experience.

Rev. Van Vliet also gave me suggestions on how to work around writer's block, on those days when your mind feels empty and you just can't seem to get anything good onto paper. It's a good thing I have encountered one (or two) of these days during my internship, so that I can see that it's not all easy sailing.

Yesterday evening I also got to go to Langley church for a Church Visitation with Rev. Van Vliet. I met the Langley council (or a large part of it at any rate), including Rev. W. Bredenhof, with whom I had communicated in the past--it's nice to be able to put a face and personality to the name. I will also have the privilege of speaking an edifying word in Langley congregation in 2 Sundays. It is a large congregation (at least 3 times larger than either Maranatha or Willoughby-Heights, in which I have done all of my preaching so far. Hopefully the size won't make me too nervous. It shouldn't--I will have preached the sermon already, and there's not much different in speaking before 200 people or 600 people--either is too many to count while you're up there...

No comments: