On Saturday, since it was cloudy and rainy, Sherri and I decided to go south to Washington state and visit Lynden, a nice little Dutch settlement. It took us more time to cross the border than it actually took to get there in driving time.
We walked around Lynden for a few hours, had lunch at the Dutch Mothers Restaurant (best croquettes I've ever had!) and then did a little more walking around.
After Lynden, we went further south to Bellingham to find some good used bookstores that someone out here had talked about. We found them (eventually) and it certainly was worth it. The first one we went to was called Henderson's Used Books (it doesn't have a web-page, unfortunately) and it was amazing. Our house could have fit into this store (not height-wise, but space-wise for sure)! Because of the layout and the amount of bookshelves, there were hidden rooms that you woudn't see until you turned a corner or even just walked a few feet further than where you were. We bought a few books (some of which were on my wishlist at Chapters, but are no longer, as I found them cheaper). I wish I lived a lot closer to this store, it's the kind of used bookstore I would go back to once a month or so, just to keep on top of what they have. They had a good philosophy section and a good Biblical studies section.
I bought The Elements of Style by Strunk and White (4th Edition), The Virgin Birth by J. Gresham Machen, The Complete Tales of Peter Rabbit and Friends by Beatrix Potter, and Sherri got a Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment.
After that store, we went across the street to another big used bookstore, Michael's (which does have a website, which you can find here). It was not as impressive, and I didn't find anything that I wanted to buy (but I also didn't have much time, I got in there at about 5:50, and it closes at 6:00). Their Biblical studies section was not near as impressive as Henderson's, and they put their theology under the Christian Philosophy heading. Too bad.
Sherri will put up some pictures of Lynden, but we didn't take that many. There was some neat Dutch-type stuff, but for the rest, it wasn't like being in the mountains or anything, and Bellingham was a typical big city (and a picture of Henderson's wouldn't do it justice!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment