Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Happy Anniversary!!

Today is Sherri's and my Third Anniversary. I don't know what precious stone or metal that this anniversary is identified with, but that's not important anyways. You can see the post I made the day before I got married here.

The text that we chose for our wedding address was Proverbs 24:3-4

"By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures."

It takes wisdom, understanding, and knowledge to make a marriage work, since marriage is a very close relationship between two people who are not perfect, and who need to deal with each other's and their own shortcomings. The fact that Sherri and I made it to our third anniversary is less due to ourselves than to the loving graciousness of our Lord. For who has wisdom if it is not from God? And who has understanding but God alone? And what is knowledge, if it does not lead to God?

Happy Anniversary, Sherri, the wife of my youth, and I hope and pray that we have many more together.

Speaking of rare and beautiful treasures, we are also expecting our first child (which, if you know us or read this blog, you know already). I can't think of any treasure that I would rather have than the gift of a child whom the Lord has given to us.

And, on the topic of anniversaries, we attended the 25th Anniversary of my Aunt Fran and Uncle Piet. It was a great celebration last night. It was beautiful how they brought in the memory of my Uncle's first wife, the mother of the oldest 6 children. I didn't know very much about that period in my uncle's life from before he married my Aunt, and there is still much that I do not know, but it seems that the night would have poorer for not having spoken of this important part of the family's life together. The younger 6 children, children of my Aunt and directly my cousins, also had to deal with this period in the family's history through their life. And again, it is a wonderful testament to the merciful and gracious character of our God that this family could celebrate their time together.

Happy Anniversary, Uncle Piet and Aunt Fran. Sherri and I wish you and your family much happiness together in the time that the Lord has allowed you.

No comments: