"It is the job of artists to provoke and challenge...It is vital that artists
push the envelope and sometimes make us feel uncomfortable."
What bothers me is the consequences of such a statement, and such a way of thinking. If this is truly the case, then pretty much anything can be called art, and anything can be condoned. Who decides what is appropriate 'envelope pushing' and what is just wrong? And, more fundamentally, is it the artist's job to push the envelope at all? Is there not perhaps a different and better function for artists? My own thoughts and ideas about art are not thoroughly formulated yet (although I have been meaning for some time to change that), so I can't provide any answers right now, but I think there is something wrong with this person's statement, and the world-view behind it.
- Art in Action by Nicholas Wolterstorff.
- Rainbows for a Fallen World by Calvin Seerveld. (sorry, I couldn't find a good link for this one)
No comments:
Post a Comment