While I don't have memories like my sister does of Opoe, I do remember cutting their lawn for them in Burlington before Opa passed away about 11 years ago (or was it more?), and visiting that same house years before that for the Christmas get-togethers (this was before the family got too big). Opoe always had cereal in canning jars for breakfasts. I guess her and Opa didn't eat cereal very often. She always seemed to be busy--cooking, baking, taking care of whoever was over (if you left hungry, it was your own fault!). As one of my aunts said this afternoon, she didn't like to be in the centre of attention, but was more of a background person. She was soft-spoken, unassuming, and very loving. She was, I guess, like grandmothers should be: another mother figure who makes you appreciate what you have in your own mother, and who spoils you because she could never spoil her own children even though she most likely wanted to.
We saw her on Friday, and she seemed somehow less than the Opoe I remember from my youth, but now she is so much more.

Opoe and Callum. I think this picture was taken in October of last year. This was the first time Opoe saw Callum, I do believe.
No comments:
Post a Comment