This week, I am (sort of) working on Mark 4:35-41, the calming of the storm. At first I was a little worried that it would not be sufficiently different than my previous sermon in terms of its application and impact. But, foolish me, scripture is better than that, with new things to say in every text. If I can't think of something different to preach about, it's not the fault of the text, but of my own thinking and research.
I am 'sort of' working on it because I am sick. Well, at the end of last week we all got a cold. Callum started it, then Sherri and I got it. I made it through preaching on Sunday (thanks Benylin and sinus medicine!), but I think I may have pushed myself too hard, as last night I woke up with chills, and this morning with an icky fever. But now I am feeling better. I am at a point where I think I can come up with a theme and points for this sermon, and so tomorrow perhaps I will have an outline, and I will be in fine shape for preaching it on Sunday.
Except that I might be travelling some of the States this week to make a bit of money. But that's a story for another time. Especially because I'm still not clear on all the details myself yet.
And I am expecting another preaching book in the mail any day now. This one was recommended by Rev. Vandeburgt. It is called Biblical Preaching, and it is written by Haddon Robinson. He has a different focus than does Chappel in Christ-Centered Preaching, which I have read and thoroughly enjoyed. Hopefully the more I read on the topic the better my sermons will become.
Are there any other recommendations experienced ministers might like to give me? I'm always open for advice!
Update:
It seems that tomorrow I and a couple other College students (and one College-student wife) will be flying down to Florida to pick up some pickups and trailers for someone. Leave tomorrow and come back Friday night or Saturday morning. I've never been to Florida. Maybe I should take the camera. But we'll be driving, so probably not. So it looks like this sermon will wait until next week. Sorry Providence CanRC, you get repeats.
4 comments:
Two other gems on preaching:
Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture, Graeme Goldsworthy
Him We Proclaim, Dennis Johnson
If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Johnson.
Thanks, Wes. I have Goldsworthy, we had to read parts of that book for Homiletics. I will look into "Him We Proclaim." I've been thinking recently that in order to keep myself fresh and 'into it' I should keep reading books on preaching and homiletics. Otherwise I can see myself running out of steam without any new ideas.
Though she was "only" a novelist, Dorothy Sayers is worth reading too, especially her Letters to a Diminished Church.
I used one of her essays for a Dogmatics paper on the necessity of dogmas for the church. I was quite impressed, and should read some more of her stuff. Thanks for the reminder there as well.
Post a Comment