Monday, February 16, 2009

A Good Story in a Poor Book.

I recently borrowed a book from my father, since he and at least my brother-in-law have read it. It sounded interesting, and I needed a good novel to read (having spent my chapters gift-certificate already...on a comic book...). While at there house before we left for Denver (see Sherri's blog for pictures...) I picked up Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth. It is a book (a long book) about building a cathedral told from the perspectives of some of the main players.

It started out well.

And it continued well. By all accounts, this would be a book that I would love to sit night after night and finish. But I put it away. I put in on the table beside me, and will not pick it up again.

Not because the story is a bad story. On the contrary, the story is gripping, it flows, and the shifts in perspective work well, giving it more body.

But why oh why do authors need to give us explicitly sexual details? Why is there any sex in this book at all? Because their humans, and that is something that we do? We go to the bathroom too, so why no details?

It's because sex sells. But why does an author like Ken Follet (I think I've read more of his books) feel the need to insert something openly sexual into almost every other chapter of this otherwise excellent book?

There are more books like this too. Why do authors feel the need to let us in on details that we don't want to hear? Well, obviously we do, or the books wouldn't sell.

Now, I'm not against sexuality in books. There are good ways of dealing with intimate relations which don't transport us to the seedier side of the interweb or the magazine rack. Where is the lost art of subtlety? And where is our innocence (not naivete, but innocence!)

Thus ends my reading of what otherwise would have been a very enjoyable and interesting read.

So sad.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I just usually skip over those parts. blah...blah...blah.... get on with the story already!
I agree, totally unnecessary to have that much graphic deatail in a good book like that. I don't think it adds to the story.

Anonymous said...

It seems that more and more authors are doing it these days. And it's hard in the bookstore to flip through to see if there's any of it there...you usually don't see it until you read it.

Perhaps I'll just stick to the old books then!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, Stu.
Some of us have been thinking a lot about what kinds of books we should be reading as we try to start a church library. Obviously, an author like Ken Follet would not be considered, but there are unnecessary descriptions, etc. in many "Christian" fiction books as well.

I recently read a quote... "You will be the same person you are next year, except for the books you read, and the people you meet!"
Hmmm... maybe we should post that in the Library.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Ah, the church library. Do we have a library committee? Does this committee have a good starting point as to what kind of books they're looking for?

(I know I should know this, but it's been a while since I've been in my own church!)