Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Logos 4 Update.

So, Sherri let me upgrade to Logos 4 yesterday evening (when it comes to spending money, I always talk to Sherri first!).

However, I purchased the download option, but the download is considerably bigger than I was led to believe (4.2 GB instead of 1 GB--interestingly enough, my one and only beef about Logos. They are an excellent company, doing all they can for their customers). So, I don't have all my resources yet--I plan on purchasing the DVD rather than use up almost half of our monthly bandwidth (and a lot of time).

I do have the program installed, and it is a beauty. Totally different than Logos 3. In fact, the promotion video on the logos 4 web page (see last post) explains that it was totally rebuilt. They did not just upgrade Logos 3, but they started from scratch and totally rewrote and reworked the program.

So, it is no longer on the Libronix platform, as that has been discarded. As I said, rebuilt from the ground up. Which means, then, that my old resources are no longer usable (Logos 3 is not compatible with Logos 4, and vice versa). I don't lose them, of course, but I have to get all new editions of these resources (hence the large download size).

Once I have Logos 4 up and running with all my resources, I will try to write a review (which will be hard, since I have to relearn everything I know about how to use Logos!).

8 comments:

Mrs. Bob said...

steve's loving it as well...

such permissive wives you guys have. :)

Anonymous said...

Did he download it? Must have taken him quite some time!

I hope to enjoy it more fully soon...

Anonymous said...

And yes, our wives are great! Where would we be without them!

Steve said...

Yes, I downloaded it. 4.1GB, took me three hours for that. Then indexing took another 4hrs. So totally worth it!! Oh, it's all connected to the cloud now. I have two computers and they both act the same because they sync, eg layout and book shortcuts. It was possible to do this all with only one download. Logos 4 is the way to go, leaving Bibleworks in the dust!!

Anonymous said...

I decided to forgo the download and order the DVD. I did't want to use almost half our bandwidth for this. The DVD should come hopefully early next week.

Maybe I'll cave and do it tomorrow afternoon, but maybe I'll be able to be patient...

I am looking forward to playing with it soon... Hmmm... maybe I won't be able to wait after all!

Want to come over, Steve, and play with our new toys soon?

Unknown said...

Hi, you wrote, "Which means, then, that my old resources are no longer usable"

Actually, all the v3 resources are usable in 4.0 so I am not sure where you got that bit of info. Hope that helps clarify some things for you.

Blessings,
Joe

Anonymous said...

hi Joe,

I guess I should have been clearer (or I am mistaken). I was told that I could not use the discs that came with Logos 3 to import my resources into Logos 4, since 4 no longer uses the Libronix platform.

Perhaps I should put that to the test, however. That would certainly decrease my download size!

And thanks for your review of Logos 4 (which for my handful of readers can be found at this link here: Joe's review)

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I do have all my resources! Thanks Joe. I guess the 4.1 GB download is all the extra resources I get by upgrading (like the Biblical People/Things/Places resources and that fun stuff, and the other interlinears!).