Friday, January 08, 2010

First Facebook Post

Okay, my first hint/advice about the Facebook is regarding the really annoying ads. And this is something I came across by accident, to be honest. Here's how I have a Facebook page with no ads. Zero. Nothing at all.

  • Step 1: I use Mozilla Firefox (here's the link: Firefox). I really like Firefox for a number of reasons, and this is one of them:
  • Step 2: Install AdBlocker Plus (link: AdBlocker Plus). It is an extension for Firefox which blocks ads, much like the name suggests. You have to set it up, but that is (if I remember correctly) easy enough. Once installed, you can even click on ads that do show up (I haven't seen any, to be honest) and block them.
  • Step 3: Enjoy an ad-free Facebook experience.

Perhaps you will find this as useful as I find it. I really hate ads. Especially because they are never, ever for anything useful, or anything I might like. When I opened Facebook in Google Chrome this morning, there was an ad for some 'avoiding a divorce' page thingy. Really annoying.

In addition: did you know that you can stop ads from using your name, or at least showing detials to people (on your Friends list)? Go to Settings> My Account> Facebook Adverts, and then in the drop-down list where it says "Allow ads on platform pages to show my information to" select: "No one" [the options are: "only my friends" or "no one."]

No comments: