I am considering (again) this whole Facebook thing. I have avoided it in the past as a time-waster and not much use. But there is some good to it, too. So many of my family and friends are on the Facebook that it would be interesting to keep up with them, especially those that I do not see or talk to regularly.
The biggest reason for me to start the Facebook is to find out how to use it well. So often you hear of people simply using it because it's there. It's like most, if not all, new technologies. Too often it is simply adopted without reflection. Especially by the tech-savvy younger generations. If we have some people who can do the research, do the thinking, and then find a way of using the technology well, properly, and in a manner befitting a Christian, I think this would greatly benefit those who do not or cannot do this work.
Not, of course, that I am fully qualified for this. I do not have such illusions of myself. But I'd like to try.
So here is what I propose. I am going on the Facebook (and yes, I've been calling it the Facebook just for fun). I will look at it, figure things out, and see what all the fuss is. And I will blog about what I find, what I think, and whatever else comes up regarding this Facebook thing.
In the end, if I find that I can't use it well, then I'll just delete my account, and resume life as normal (or, rather, as it is now--Facebookless and happy).
In addition, I am rethinking how I use labels on my blog. I am playing with the idea of having a set of content about which I will post (so there is some continuity), and use the labels to identify which of this content I am posting about. I have already started an 'Adventures in Education' label (see last post), and now I will start an 'Adventures with Facebook' label. Hopefully that will help my few readers navigate my blog more effectively. For if technology does not help us, it's not worth using. Perhaps. I'll have to give that more thought.
The biggest reason for me to start the Facebook is to find out how to use it well. So often you hear of people simply using it because it's there. It's like most, if not all, new technologies. Too often it is simply adopted without reflection. Especially by the tech-savvy younger generations. If we have some people who can do the research, do the thinking, and then find a way of using the technology well, properly, and in a manner befitting a Christian, I think this would greatly benefit those who do not or cannot do this work.
Not, of course, that I am fully qualified for this. I do not have such illusions of myself. But I'd like to try.
So here is what I propose. I am going on the Facebook (and yes, I've been calling it the Facebook just for fun). I will look at it, figure things out, and see what all the fuss is. And I will blog about what I find, what I think, and whatever else comes up regarding this Facebook thing.
In the end, if I find that I can't use it well, then I'll just delete my account, and resume life as normal (or, rather, as it is now--Facebookless and happy).
In addition, I am rethinking how I use labels on my blog. I am playing with the idea of having a set of content about which I will post (so there is some continuity), and use the labels to identify which of this content I am posting about. I have already started an 'Adventures in Education' label (see last post), and now I will start an 'Adventures with Facebook' label. Hopefully that will help my few readers navigate my blog more effectively. For if technology does not help us, it's not worth using. Perhaps. I'll have to give that more thought.
3 comments:
thank you for the announcement.
fellow facebookian.
You're welcome, but it is still an expirement. I might not stay on Facebook...I got off once before already!
I forgot about the cascade effect of the friends list--add one and there's two or three others that add you. I am being very selective, though. Choosing only people I want to contact again or who I am close with. We'll see how it works...
I suppose I have to add you now too, eh? ;)
and me? That's the thing with facebook and the adding friends, it's really easy to 'hurt' someone you're rarely in contact with. Being selective can lead to harsh feelings (somewhat). Silly, but true! I have cousins who have added me as 'friend' but refuse to add my siblings, they've said 'no' multiple times! Good luck with the facebook trial!
Post a Comment