So, it is 2010. And no, I am not excited for the Olympics. I find them to be too much hype, too much money, and generally quite boring.
I have started a new semester at Redeemer. I did well last semester...it is nice, after seminary, to see some good high marks again! I look forward to this semester because I am settling in, I know how things work, and I did have fun last semester. Again, I only have three courses (this time, no first year courses!), but I also have a two morning a week placement in a local school. This placement is just an observation placement, so I will not do any (or very little) actual teaching.
I am of two minds about this placement. First, I look forward to it, because it is directly applicable to my (new) career choice/calling. I am eager to see how things work in a classroom, rather than reading about it. However, I am the kind of person that prefers learning from books and lectures, rather than hands-on. This is not my comfort-zone, but I know (having preached for a few years and now having taught some catechism) that I can do it. It just makes my uncomfortable at first, being thrown into totally new situations. I will try to remember to post about it now and then.
Besides school, other things have been on the go. I am done working at the new house, we are done with seasonal family things, but I am not done with reading.
I have been working my way through Big Truths for Young Hearts, and I am quite impressed. I don't want to give too much away before I am done the book totally, but I will say this: Bruce Ware does not avoid the big issues, even when teaching theology to children. He doesn't make it simplistic, he just explains simply. It is a skill I would like to learn some time. Might be good as a teacher, I think.
I am also slowly working through Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places, but this has taken a back-burner to Big Truths for now.
Plus, over the holidays, I discovered Agatha Christie mystery novels, and have now read (and own) four of them. Does anyone have any that they want to get rid of? Just let me know!
I have started a new semester at Redeemer. I did well last semester...it is nice, after seminary, to see some good high marks again! I look forward to this semester because I am settling in, I know how things work, and I did have fun last semester. Again, I only have three courses (this time, no first year courses!), but I also have a two morning a week placement in a local school. This placement is just an observation placement, so I will not do any (or very little) actual teaching.
I am of two minds about this placement. First, I look forward to it, because it is directly applicable to my (new) career choice/calling. I am eager to see how things work in a classroom, rather than reading about it. However, I am the kind of person that prefers learning from books and lectures, rather than hands-on. This is not my comfort-zone, but I know (having preached for a few years and now having taught some catechism) that I can do it. It just makes my uncomfortable at first, being thrown into totally new situations. I will try to remember to post about it now and then.
Besides school, other things have been on the go. I am done working at the new house, we are done with seasonal family things, but I am not done with reading.
I have been working my way through Big Truths for Young Hearts, and I am quite impressed. I don't want to give too much away before I am done the book totally, but I will say this: Bruce Ware does not avoid the big issues, even when teaching theology to children. He doesn't make it simplistic, he just explains simply. It is a skill I would like to learn some time. Might be good as a teacher, I think.
I am also slowly working through Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places, but this has taken a back-burner to Big Truths for now.
Plus, over the holidays, I discovered Agatha Christie mystery novels, and have now read (and own) four of them. Does anyone have any that they want to get rid of? Just let me know!
5 comments:
gasp... your not excited for the olympics???? sacrilege! :)
new house... are you moving?
How in the world did you grow up in a Harsevoort household and not read any Agatha Christie books???? I think I'd read them all by the time I was 14! Craziness...
I know.... it's terrible, really. The worst thing is that Mom and Dad got rid of all their Agatha Christie novels when the house was up for sale! Now I have to find them elsewhere.... they didn't even ask if anyone wanted them!
Oh, and no Mrs. Bob, we are not moving. My parents are though...and I got to tear apart their new house!
I'm sure you can find them back at the BFM thrift store, where else would mom have brought them?
Post a Comment