Ed Welch, over on the Christian Counseling and Education Foundation has a good post on how to relate with those who are suffering, specifically what not to say (this may one in a series of posts, I'm not sure). But apparently it is not useful to say 'If you need anything, give me a call.' I am guilty of using this line--perhaps I will think of something better to say. Even though the sentiment is good, the line is not helpful because either people don't know what they need, or will not call. Ed Welch suggests that it is almost a put-off.
Here is the link for his post: More of what not to say to those who are suffering.
EDIT: for those left wanting more, here is the previous article Ed Welch wrote: What not to say to those who are suffering.
Here is the link for his post: More of what not to say to those who are suffering.
EDIT: for those left wanting more, here is the previous article Ed Welch wrote: What not to say to those who are suffering.
3 comments:
interesting reading. I must say I've said the "give me a call" line... but sometimes you don't really know what to offer. The article gave some suggestions, but I felt like I wanted some more.
I found another of these articles, I will add it in an edit.
I need some help. I ran into a blog that more or less said, "When two Christians disagree on interpretation, they should both realize it's a great thing they both believe the Bible is the highest source of authority." I ran into this blog by random because I used to click on the "Next Blog" link on my blogger dashboard but I failed to follow that blog. If you know the web url of that blog please let me know. Also, I am looking for a Mormon woman's blog. It had a bright garish yellow background. She wrote an interesting story that I want to see again and yet again, I failed to follow it when it first caught my eye. I used to be an amateur ethnographer and I would collect stories and study how they were told. I still have an interest in religious ethnography. Thank you if you can help me.
Post a Comment