Thanks to a Westminster Bookstore, some helpful contacts in the US, and a friend from church (complicated, I know), I got some exciting new books, for 55% of what they would have cost otherwise. Here is the list:
Redemptive History and Biblical Interpretation: the Shorter Writings of Geerhardus Vos. Edited by Richard B. Gaffin Jr. (a good theologian in his own right), this is a collection of some shorter works by Geerhardus Vos, whose Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments I read in seminary, and thoroughly enjoyed (inasmuch as you can 'enjoy' such books!).
Revelation and Reason: New Essays in Reformed Apologetics. This is a collection of essays in apologetics written by some solid Reformed thinkers from different disciplines.
Stories with Intent: a Comprehensive Guide to the Parables of Jesus. This one looks really good. It is a thorough study of parables in general and each individual parable of Jesus, written by Klyne Snodgrass. I think I may have to use it sometime to teach through the parables.
Reasons for Faith: Philosophy in the Service of Theology. Written by K. Scott Oliphint, this book is larger than I expected. In it he attempts to place philosophy soundly within the Christian faith, showing how Christians can (and ought) to do philosophy, focusing on metaphysics and epistemology. I am looking forward to working through this one.
Foundations of Christian Education: Addresses to Christian Teachers. This is a collection of addresses and essays written by Louis Berkhof (a systematic theologian) and Cornelis Van Til (a Reformed Apologist). I am hoping to blog my way through this in the coming months, when school starts. There are 7 essays on Reformed doctrines (like and antithesis and covenant) and their impact on education.
ALSO, Callum and I were shopping last Friday, and we stopped at Big B Comics, and I picked up a couple of good graphic novels. Both were very interesting and enjoyable (and clean!). The one is a Batman comic (who is simply the coolest superhero) called The Long Halloween, and the other is a re-imagining of Superman (who is pretty cool too) as a Communist hero. I really enjoyed this last one (Superman: Red Son) as a philosophical thought-experiment--take the personality and character of Superman, and see what would have happened if he was raised differently (instead of on a farm in Smallville, on a commune in the Ukraine). Very interesting, very creative, and very enjoyable.
I will read these graphic novels again soon, and perhaps review them here, in between educational posts.
Redemptive History and Biblical Interpretation: the Shorter Writings of Geerhardus Vos. Edited by Richard B. Gaffin Jr. (a good theologian in his own right), this is a collection of some shorter works by Geerhardus Vos, whose Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments I read in seminary, and thoroughly enjoyed (inasmuch as you can 'enjoy' such books!).
Revelation and Reason: New Essays in Reformed Apologetics. This is a collection of essays in apologetics written by some solid Reformed thinkers from different disciplines.
Stories with Intent: a Comprehensive Guide to the Parables of Jesus. This one looks really good. It is a thorough study of parables in general and each individual parable of Jesus, written by Klyne Snodgrass. I think I may have to use it sometime to teach through the parables.
Reasons for Faith: Philosophy in the Service of Theology. Written by K. Scott Oliphint, this book is larger than I expected. In it he attempts to place philosophy soundly within the Christian faith, showing how Christians can (and ought) to do philosophy, focusing on metaphysics and epistemology. I am looking forward to working through this one.
Foundations of Christian Education: Addresses to Christian Teachers. This is a collection of addresses and essays written by Louis Berkhof (a systematic theologian) and Cornelis Van Til (a Reformed Apologist). I am hoping to blog my way through this in the coming months, when school starts. There are 7 essays on Reformed doctrines (like and antithesis and covenant) and their impact on education.
ALSO, Callum and I were shopping last Friday, and we stopped at Big B Comics, and I picked up a couple of good graphic novels. Both were very interesting and enjoyable (and clean!). The one is a Batman comic (who is simply the coolest superhero) called The Long Halloween, and the other is a re-imagining of Superman (who is pretty cool too) as a Communist hero. I really enjoyed this last one (Superman: Red Son) as a philosophical thought-experiment--take the personality and character of Superman, and see what would have happened if he was raised differently (instead of on a farm in Smallville, on a commune in the Ukraine). Very interesting, very creative, and very enjoyable.
I will read these graphic novels again soon, and perhaps review them here, in between educational posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment