Monday, February 05, 2007

An Example of Poor Logic Leading to Bad Theology:

On this blog (on my first and probably only visit there) I saw this piece of, well, I don't know what to call it, since children probably look at this blog (or at least my sister does, and I don't want to influence her negatively).

Anyways, as the title of my post says, this is an example of someone misusing deductive reasoning. The premises are not precise enough, and the conclusion draws more from these premises than is actually there.

Here's the argument:

  • "It is very cold here in Omaha. And as our pastor reminds us regularly, stuff dies in the winter, death comes from sin, so therefore winter is bad and we can look forward to no more winter in the kingdom."

By this logic, people drown in water, therefore water is bad. People die from melanoma from being out in the sun too much, therefore the sun is bad. You get the picture.

I can only hope that this was said in jest, and is not taken seriously. Because it is kind of funny if it was meant humourously. But if it was serious, this is one of the least funny things that I have read in a while.

No comments: