I have been working on a church history paper on St. Benedict these last few days. It's not a big paper, just an introduction to the man, his influence, and his importance for church history and today.
I must admit that I had a bit of an ulterior motive for choosing Benedict of Nursia, since I have always been somewhat attracted to the monastic ideal. If it weren't for the Romanist doctrine I'd have to agree to, and the fact that I am very happily married and very happily in the midst of fatherhood, I think I'd like the life of a monk. The structure, security, permanence, and dedication to theological study very much appeals to me (although I probably have an idealized view of what it would be like). It wasn't for nothing that monasteries were the intellectual centres of the medieval world, for there the monks (ideally) were literate and interested in keeping the old books and writings in circulation.
The influence of Benedict in monasticism, as far as I can tell, is huge through the rule that he wrote for his monks. In this rule (which follows along the lines of Reformed Church Polity: less rules, more Christian freedom), he outlines the important elements for the monastic life. Permanence, obedience, and most importantly: prayer.
Once I am done this paper, and the Powerpoint presentation, I will post either the paper or the paper and the presentation. For now, I will just say that I am enjoying reading about Benedict.
I must admit that I had a bit of an ulterior motive for choosing Benedict of Nursia, since I have always been somewhat attracted to the monastic ideal. If it weren't for the Romanist doctrine I'd have to agree to, and the fact that I am very happily married and very happily in the midst of fatherhood, I think I'd like the life of a monk. The structure, security, permanence, and dedication to theological study very much appeals to me (although I probably have an idealized view of what it would be like). It wasn't for nothing that monasteries were the intellectual centres of the medieval world, for there the monks (ideally) were literate and interested in keeping the old books and writings in circulation.
The influence of Benedict in monasticism, as far as I can tell, is huge through the rule that he wrote for his monks. In this rule (which follows along the lines of Reformed Church Polity: less rules, more Christian freedom), he outlines the important elements for the monastic life. Permanence, obedience, and most importantly: prayer.
Once I am done this paper, and the Powerpoint presentation, I will post either the paper or the paper and the presentation. For now, I will just say that I am enjoying reading about Benedict.
No comments:
Post a Comment